Design Futures Lab 2022
Do you have a sustainable fashion story you want to tell in an immersive digital format?
Application Deadline: 31 January 2022
About The Lab
South African content artists will get the opportunity to develop innovative, provocative, and immersive digital narratives around sustainable fashion and design as part of this creative economy project, which is supported by the British Council #SouthernAfricaArts. These stories will help to develop kinder, more environmentally friendly futures.
- We’re seeking 9 teams of two artists to compete (18 artists in total)
- The chosen candidates will be guided and mentored in the use of innovative immersive digital technologies and sustainable fashion methods
- A grant of R75,000 will be given to each team to help them develop their digital prototype/proof of concept concepts
- A sustainable fashion workshop and a digital lab will be included in the programme, challenging successful candidates to explore and enhance their digital production talents in XR (extended reality)
- The lab will provide access to new markets for sustaining lifestyles by utilizing new creative technologies and software, international distribution channels, and exhibition platforms.
- Bringing education, experimentation, exploration, and play together to help young creatives bring their ideas to life in an immersive environment
- Partner with local and worldwide experts, guest speakers, and market access professionals to create an environment that encourages inquiry, cooperation, and innovation among our participants
- For participants based outside of Cape Town who attend the in-person Lab, the Design Futures program will pay all domestic transport, lodging, and meals.
- Virtually from 14 – 18 March 2022 (max. 2hrs/day).
- In-person from 23 – 25 March 2022 in Cape Town (full-time).
- Market access feedback will take place virtually from June – November 2022.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Pair submission, with one concept (two creatives per concept).
- Be citizens or permanent residents of South Africa.
- Lives in South Africa currently and able to travel on the days required.
- Experience in a creative technology field.
Projects Ideas Must
- Be a digital prototype/proof of concept with immersive and provocative narratives centered on themes of sustainable fashion practices across the full value chain (from soil to landfill) that address environmental, climate, and earth-friendly and regenerative solutions.
- Utilise immersive technology like Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). 360 cinema, volumetric capture, world-building, interactive worlds, avatar development, animation, artificial intelligence, projection mapping, hybrid forms, and more could all fall under this umbrella.
Important Dates To Note
- 31 January 2022.
Please complete and submit this form by 11.59 pm SAST.
- 18 February 2022.
All successful applicants will be notified.
- 14 – 18 March 2022.
The Design Future Lab will run virtually (max. 2 hrs/day).
- 23 – 25 March 2022.
The Design Future Lab will run in person in Cape Town (full-time).
- 31 May 2022.
Each team must have completed their digital prototype/proof of concept.
- May – November 2022.
Market access feedback will run virtually.
- All Coronavirus COVID-19 protocols will be adhered to throughout the Lab.
Have any Enquiries?
Please contact email@example.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
For more information,