Helicarrier a.k.a BuyCoins (Y Combinator S18) is one of the fastest-growing and fastest-moving startups in Africa. We are working on a bunch of things to help financially connect the Africans anywhere they are in the world. This includes:
- Buycoins – The easiest way to buy, sell & store cryptocurrency.
- Sendcash – Crypto-powered remittance.
- Sendcash Pay – A suite of developer tools that let you add borderless payment experiences to your digital products.
We are looking for a technical leader that will autonomously drive product vision to implementation by using expertise & passion to multiply the overall output of their team.
Role: Technical Lead
As a Technical Lead, you will:
- Scope and lead technical projects. Rapid iteration on features & tooling, especially as we launch the first versions of new products is super important. We love to iterate really quickly at Buycoins.
- Scrutinize and make overarching technological & architectural decisions.
- Directly contribute to the codebase(s). Become a role model for how great software should be written at Buycoins as a whole.
- Design & implement processes/systems that will raise the overall code quality, reliability, and monitoring. This includes ensuring that both internal and external-facing documentation is as good as can be.
- Direct involvement in the development of the engineering team. This includes participation in the hiring process, teaching & guiding teammates to become the best possible versions of themselves.
- Advise the leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of money.
- Work effectively cross-functionally.
Helicarrier needs someone who:
- Is obsessed with building great user experiences.
- Has a strong technical background. High level of fluency and experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) – Golang, Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Node.js, Postgres, etc
- Has experience with building blockchain-related software. Deep understanding of how technologies like Bitcoin & Ethereum work, Solidity (or any other smart contract language or platform), L2 solutions, etc are a huge bonus.
- Has excellent written and spoken communication skills. This is extremely important. Communication is a big part of our remote + asynchronous work culture.
- Has a proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must.
- Is curious and passionate to constantly learn new things; Buycoins changes very fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too.
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of people with different expertise. The importance of collaboration with Support, Design, Growth, etc cannot be overstated.
We’re looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart.
Why work with Helicarrier?
- A competitive salary, in USDC.
- Stock options
- MacBook Pro
- Catered lunch
- Health insurance, gym access, and pension
- 20 days paid annual leave
- Progressive remote work policy
- An opportunity to do exciting, fulfilling work with great teammates
How to apply:
Write an essay (approx 700 words) per the prompt below.
Click here to get the Essay Prompt
Submit your application by filling this form.